Please help me with Finn-history

Forum | Svara på detta inlägg
Chris Thompson  cthom249@tpg.com.au 2003-10-14 15:38
Im sorry this is all English.

Im an Australian sailing writer, researching a book on dinghy design and history. Im interested in the Finn because I think it was perhaps the first dinghy to have a fine
bow without much flare.

I understand that the Finn was developed from one of Richard Sarbys C Class canoes, with the stern cut off and the mizzen mast removed. Can anyone confirm this? The Finn looks a lot like old C Class canoes, and Sarby sailed them, so it seems the link is very likely.
Does anyone know whether the Spicle (the boat that won the design competition) also had some canoe heritage; it had steering and a cockpit a bit like a canoes, as far as I know. However, the lines were different with a huge amount of flare in the bow.

Was the Finn responsible for other innovations in hull shape? I know it made the unstayed rig more well-known and popular.

Thanks for any information

Chris Thompson
Petter Ivarsson  petter.ivarsson@gmail.com 2003-10-17 09:39
I can confirm that the Finn was developed from one of Richard Sarbys C Class canoes, with the stern cut off and the mizzen mast removed. I have read that in several places and sailors from the birthclub of the Finn, Uppsala Kanotforening has told me that to.

//Petter
Johan Wijk  johan_wijk@yahoo.com 2003-10-20 12:59
Chris!
I recommend you to write an e-mail to mikael.brandt@smm.se and explain you mission to him. He has all finn history worth to know.
Johan Wijk  johan_wijk@yahoo.com 2003-10-20 13:13
Chris!
I recommend you to write an e-mail to mikael.brandt@smm.se and explain you mission to him. He has all finn history worth to know.

Du behöver logga in för att skriva i forumet

Betala med Swish
123 029 02 13
QR Code
© Copyright 2024 Finnjolleförbundet

Anders Lundströms gata 13, 169 73 Solna

Kontakta oss via e-post info@finnjolle.se